Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dot and her dog....

Masha' Allah, we've been cruising right along in series one of our BOB Books, and just completed book three titled Dot. A short story about Dot, her dog and a hat. As I mentioned the books gradually increase in difficulty, and we ran into some trouble.....

~
The Book


The Problem


The body of this book contains longer sentences, and the twins kept trying to read them as either one big run on word, or jumbled words together. They are still getting familiar with capital letters starting sentences, and punctuation, etc. 

Alhumdullilah, I had an idea:




This is a common teaching practice, and one I've used in my own personal studies. Alhumdullilah, it did the trick, and with a little help at times, the twins are reading and understanding the sentences confidently, Masha' Allah. 

At story time we pulled out and Early Reader book I picked up from the library just to see what it was, and I have to say, Masha' Allah, our Dot book, and the one we are currently working on, are far superior in sentence structure and length, but not vocabulary.   
Looks like its going to be a good idea to make sure we make a good mix of the two. Insha' Allah, on our next Library trip, I'll be raiding the Early Reader section : ) Fun!


2 comments:

  1. Assalaamu alaikum Ukhti, I was on pinterest and saw this blog had some nice free printable worksheets to use with the bob books. It's worth a look insha Allah its called http://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/

    I hope you are able to benefit insha Allah

    Fee Amaanillah
    Umm Imaan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullah,

    Jazakillah Khair for sharing. I will def. check that link out insha' Allah.

    ReplyDelete