Friday, June 29, 2012

Unschooling

As much as we love the Montessori Method and the Reggio Emalia approach, I am finding more and more that we have become somewhat Unschoolers. Reflecting back on what we've learned this year Masha' Allah, and how we are progressing moving forward, the approach of Unschooling has paralleled much of our two methodologies. I don't want to bore anyone with too many details, but I wanted to share two pictures from this week that sum up the many ways we have been able to combine the two throughout the year.

~
The Edible Moveable Alphabet



These are Scrabble Cheez - It crackers, a treat Grammy brings from time to time for the Professors when she visits Masha Allah. They easily fill in for the Moveable Alphabet and let the Professors practice, and have fun sounding out, spelling and making up words. Also a great way for them to practice their Pink Language Series Words.   Professor #2 ate his word 
(D-A-Y) before I could get a photo of it. 

~
Handwriting and Spelling Reggio Style

One afternoon after a swim in the pool, the Professors still wanted to play outside, so I got out our bowl full of sidewalk chalk. The Professors who have no real interest in learning to write formally, could write all day with sidewalk chalk. Masha' Allah. Grammy and Professor #1 called me over to show me he had written this


The letters are backwards and out of order but he sounded out, spelled, and wrote the word, as well as labeled the rock on his own, Masha' Allah. 

~
These two small examples show first hand the power of play,  and the importance of lots and lots of child led free play in our homeschooling. 

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Do you have a book to recommend on unschooling? I'm curious to learn more. I think I'll shoot you an e-mail. Have a great weekend! Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms Anna! Great to talk with you! Here is a well balanced article that sums up the general idea of the Unschooling approach. Many of what we are already doing : )

    http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/earl_stevens.html

    ReplyDelete