Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Montessori Handwriting Books.

The time has come to nudge the twins towards handwriting. We've done just about all we can otherwise, and we need to take the next step and work with the pencil. I want to make this as positive and fun as I can insha' Allah, so in addition to this we will be having lots of 'free handwriting' time using blank paper, crayons, colored pencils, pens, markers, and more time for sidewalk chalk outside. I also have a couple Reggio inspired and Montessori printables to work on during that time too.  For work in their handwriting books they will each have a 'fat' pencil and a standard (but of course super fun ; ) pencil. Masha' Allah. I do have a set for Professor #3, but since he's no where near interested or ready, I will be saving his for now, and working with the twins during nap time, in order to allow them more concentration, and avoid volcanic meltdowns from P3. Insha' Allah.

~
The Books


The books go from teaching how letters are formed in Book 1, through to writing cursive in Book 4. 

~
Book 1 


Book 1 starts out getting the writer used to the pencil, and letter formation



At the top of each page throughout the book, these activities can be found, as a sort of warm up to the letter writing. 


~
The Method. 

Book 1 does not instruct sequentially, but rather focuses on a particular format that allows the writer to 'concentrate on the process of handwriting.' Letters are grouped into three catagories, Counterclockwise Letters, Clockwise Letters, Downstroke Letters, then Numbers

The only negative I have with the books are the 'self evaluation' section. It shows a face with the mouth missing. The writer is supposed to fill in how well they did by completing the face. I feel this is something that counters what the Montessori philosophy is all about, and I'm not sure why they included it. We'll be skipping it or, using it to doodle. 
~
I won't be photographing any of the early lessons, as I want the twins to focus. If you are interested in the books, you can find them on the Allison's Montessori website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment