Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Arabic Alphabet Immersion Month

Back in Ramadhaan (August 2011) I started the Professors learning the Arabic Alphabet. We took a line a day (about 5 letters) over the next several months, and Masha' Allah it went well, and we made progress. During that time I came to realize that the Professors had fallen into a familiar learning trap, rote memorization. I would notice them saying the letters while looking at the ceiling, or out the window, when we were reading from the book, or standing at the 'board'  (large laminated Arabic Alphabet poster).

Enter Arabic Sandpaper Letters.

Sandpaper letters are one of my all time favorite Montessori tools. In a nutshell, they help the brain make a more solid connection with the letter, its shape, and its sound through tactile stimulation of the brain when the child traces the rough sandpaper letter shape.

You can read more about their concept here: http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryone.com/montessori-basics-9-sandpaper-letters.html

Here are a few photos of our Arabic Sandpaper Letters:





After our back to back long breaks, we were really falling apart with our alphabet learning so I decided instead of going back to our regular school schedule, we were going to start an Arabic Alphabet Immersion course, wherein all our circle time lessons, all month, will only be learning Arabic Alphabet letters.

After our first full week, Masha' Allah, the Professors made marked improvement. I could see that when we went to the board, they would really think about, and concentrate on, the letters they had trouble with, and really try to recall the letter. At the end of the week, we had a 'test.'

Working with each Professor individually,  I took out the entire box of sandpaper letters and held each board up, one at a time, and asked them to name the letter.  I then seperated them into piles of 'letters you know' and 'letters you don't know' For the ones I could tell they were stuck on, I handed them the board and asked them to look at it and trace it with their finger. If they still didn't know it, it went in the 'letters you don't know pile' We then immediatley went back through the 'letters you don't know' pile and had a mini lesson, complete with finger tracing, and some general mumbling and grumbling. I'm a firm believer on capatilizing on information when its fresh in your mind. I think I would have had a much easier time in school myself, had there been time built into class to do your homework, instead of waiting several hours later to do it at home. Yes, I'm a study hall geek! We wrapped up the 'test' by standing at the board and reading the Alphabet through one more time, and they did excellent, Masha' Allah, and it was a remarkable way for me to observe and assess where we need more work.

It may sound like we spent/spend alot of time on this, but I would say I spent 20 minutes daily with each Professor during lessons, and they each spent 20-30 minutes testing. They then had/have the rest of the day for free play or reading, or an option to do a relaxing project, such as a puzzle, painting, playdough or  board game.

3 comments:

  1. mashallah my I ask you how you made these letters???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazakillah Khair for your interest Sister Eman. I did not make these. Sand paper letters are one of the Montessori manipulatives we decided to purchase. You can find them here, looks like they're on sale! : ) :

    http://www.alisonsmontessori.com/Sandpaper_Letters_Arabic_p/l202.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to try making them at home, you can refer to my post on Sandpaper Letters, filed under Montessori, and I have a link to a blog that shows a very simple way to make them, just need, glue, index cards and sand!

    ReplyDelete