Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Galaxy Playdough

Continuing our Make Your Own ( MYO) playdough theme, we made Fairy Dust Teaching's Galaxy Playdough this week: http://fairydustteaching.blogspot.com/2011/05/galaxy-playdough.html 
(Special thanks to Ms. Anna for pining this link to your Pintrest Board)












 Preparation wise this is not my top choice.  I followed the bloggers directions word for word, and used the entire bottle of my black food coloring, but because I could not find blue, I mixed equal parts red and green. Looking back, I would've been good with just black. We didn't get the bluish hue she refers to in her post, but more of a green one, and that was more evident in the pan, than the finished product.



The blogger mentions in her post that she put out a small amount of glitter on the table for the kids to push into the playdough. I thought that was a cute idea, but knew immediately there was no way I was doing that. Instead, as I did with the Snow Playdough, I kneaded the glitter into the dough, once it had cooled.


Turned out the amount I put in was not nearly enough, so I added more to the pan and kneaded the dough again.



I could have been a lot more liberal with the glitter, and probably a little less with the food coloring




This is more actual playdough stuck to his hands, than dye on his skin, but it did leave behind a small hue, especially on the rolling pins. It was alot cleaner the second time we played with it, but not entirely gone.

Despite everything, Masha' Allah, this was hands down the Professors favorite of all the playdoughs we have made so far. I felt bad at first that I didn't get any gems or glow in the dark stars, some of the manipulatives the blogger used, but the Professors used their imagination and made up their own space theme using their regular playdough manipulatives, Masha' Allah.











~

I'm not jumping up and down to make this again, but I'm glad we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment