Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Pink Language Series - Finally!

Alhumdullilah! Finally, I have a post on our version of the Montessori Pink Language Series. It was no easy task from start to now, but Alhumdullilah, we can finally share it with you, insha' Allah. Long, long ago, I thought I would be able to recreate most of this myself, thus wasting a tremendous amount of time. I finally decided to buy the language series set, and battled with myself over how to present it in the way that would fit our needs best, another not so easy task. I really had to let go of giving my children the full Montessori experience, and present this in a way that would not cause me to break down in tears of frustration for various reasons. My idea of doing this with one twin at a time, one day at a time during nap worked, its just Professor #3 didn't want to nap that day, thus providing us with plenty of background. Overall the long amount of thought and preparation paid off, Alhumdullilah. Now that we have a system, insha' Allah we can move forward.

~
Organization

The language series instructions for all three sets wanted me to cut up most of the materials into pieces that would be used as manipulatives. While that sounded well and good, my blood pressure could not handle that for many, many reasons. Looong story short this is what I came up with, Alhumdullilah



I bound each series, Pink, Blue, Green, into their own 3 ring binder. 

Next I separated each chapter of each notebook by divider, then page protected each sheet.






Masha' Allah, this worked out great because now the entire series flows like a book, and the Professors LOVE to sit down and flip through the book. 
~

Presentation

The first thing we did was recognize which letters are the vowel letters. Masha' Allah, the series comes with a beautiful chart that I forgot to take a picture of. The next step was to read the C-V-C (Consonant-Vowel-Consonant) words. To start out we are taking four words at a time, to read, spell and write.  We started with the 'a' words. 

After reading the words, I had Professor #1 spell out each word with the moveable alphabet on this cardboard. 


I got the idea from my friend Lori, at Lori Moments, from her post on her presentation of the Pink Language Series. We made it using foam board from the Dollar store, and a Sharpie, Masha' Allah. I had a lot left over so we made extra sheets. 

Here is Professor #1 working with the moveable alphabet







Directly after this, I set up for sand writing. 


I think I am going to get the sandpaper letters back out the next few sessions, as we have been away from sand writing for awhile and need some visual guidance. 

I asked Professor #1 to draw some guide lines at the top and bottom of the pan, then write each of the four words we worked on. The sand was too deep, but we did ok. 



~

So there you have it. Seems so simple right : ). Insha' Allah. In addition to sand writing we are going to be writing with sidewalk chalk and pencils. Until we get back into the swing of things, insha' Allah, we'll stick with sand writing. 
~

2 comments: