Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Grab Bag Numbers Game: English Language Numbers 1-10

As mentioned in the first post, Wednesday is our Numbers/Math day around here, and today we played a game called Grab Bag Numbers, posted by education.com:

http://www.education.com/activity/article/grabbagnumbers_preschool/?cid=90.002

On the link you will find a list of materials needed to play the game, here's what we used:


I had a handful of oversized index cards to work with. I cut them in half and wrote out the numbers as largely as I could. I went back and redrew the 1 and 3 cards, feeling the ink was too light, and they might have trouble reading those two.



 I wanted the cards to be fun, and I mulled over using stickers, but in the end I felt it would be a distraction. Instead I used my awesome Mr. Sketch markers. 




I bought these years ago at a craft store, and Masha' Allah, most of them are still in excellent condition. If you don't know about Mr. Sketch markers, and why they are so fun, you can read more on them here:

basically they just smell really good, so I thought that would be a fun, colorful way to make the cards. 

Here's our game all bagged up and ready to go!



We used blocks from our block bin as the counters. I divided them up by having one child be circles, one be squares, and one rectangles. They picked the shapes. I didn't get a picture of that, and I did not photograph the lesson, as we normally don't. I debated though, since it was something new, but my hunch was right not to. The older Professors, the twins, were initially interested but got bored quickly, it was way to easy for them Masha' Allah, although one of them did hesitate on two of the written numbers. They got a case of the sillies pretty quickly and had a hard time focusing, part of which I think was because we played this game in the basement playroom, not the school room. (I didn't have it in me to disrupt Baby Professor from his play area today). Professor #3 really enjoyed the game, and might have focused more had the other two not been so unfocused. Sillies are pretty contagious, Masha' Allah.

One thing that surprised me about the activity was that none of them liked closing their eyes to pick a  card. They also got focused on picking the 10 card. They kept trying to grab more than one card, trying to select the 10 card. That lead me to take out the cards chosen after each turn, otherwise I think we'd still be playing ; ) When Professor #1 finally chose the 10 card near the end of the game, he shouted like he won a jackpot, and the other two were visibly disapointed LOL, Masha' Allah. Not sure what that was all about.

We had a great time and it was a fun way for me to observe their progress matching number symbols to amounts. Insha Allah, I plan to play this game again tomorrow with numbers from 11-20, then next week we are going to play the Arabic version, insha' Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment