This book is, or was, part of a series of Reading Discovery series of books for Kindergarten - First Grade. We had an earlier version of this book that was a hand me down from a big cousin of the Professors. It was well read by the Professors, and Masha' Allah eventually fell apart. My Mom saw this one at a consignment sale, and knowing how much they loved their other book Masha' Allah, picked up this one for them.
This version is much more updated, with more text, and more 'scientific' and colorful, real photos.
It was nice to see this old book again, and I learned a few new things myself. (Did you know Butterflies migrate to Mexico in the winter, then fly back in the Spring?) The twins were engrossed, and very interested in learning about the different kinds of moths and butterflies, and how they were alike and different from each other. They wanted to know more and more Masha' Allah and I can see this leading to us checking out Library books on the subject, and taking them over to our local nature center to look at butterflies under the microscope, a place we have not been in too long. Insha' Allah.
Masha' Allah, today's story time was a great spontaneous lesson on moths and butterflies, and I can't wait to get to those extension activities, insha' Allah! I plan to leave this book out in our quiet basket, next to the Reading area.

No comments:
Post a Comment