As you know this is one of the library books we are currently reading:
We have also been talking about the movie Planet Earth, and how the book is very similar to the part of the movie featuring the Emperor Penguins.
While finishing up dishes, the kids were playing in their playroom. Professor #1 excitedly called me to show me something, then I came upon these scenes created by Professor #2:
This herd of Dino's is at the beach
This herd of Dino's is at the beach
but what's more interesting is the herd is headed by this Dinosaur, who is guarding an egg and has two small babies in tow.
Here is a the whole herd:
At the far end of the sofa, I found this:
"What's going on with all these Dino's?" I asked. "They're keeping the egg warm." was Professor #2's response.
In the library book, and the movie, the male Emperor Penguins are charged with the care of the unhatched egg after the female lays it, until birth, and for about two weeks after. Further, when the coldest of the winter sets in all the Penguins huddle together to keep warm.
Never would such a detailed answer of understanding come verbally. Play is a child's work, as the quote goes. Never underestimate the power of play, and the connection between play and learning.
Another example.
As you also know we have been using our Moveable Alphabet to build our word families. We have most recently been working on et words: let, get, set, met.
In addition to that, and something I haven't blogged about before, we are learning our days of the week, month, and year. Every day ( or something like that) the kids each mark what day it is on a calendar in the school room. Before they put the sticker on the box, we recite the day of the week, month, date, and year. Then they put the sticker in the date box. The calendar is just a regular calendar, but what's neat about it, is each month features an art project done by a child. Its goes quite well with our works of art throughout the school room.
Next to it we have a fun kids calendar banner that features the month. It's from the Dollar Store and came in sheets. I separated each month, and had them all laminated.
While I was making breakfast one day, Professor #1 was busy at the fridge with the alphabet magnets. After awhile he repeatedly shouted to me "Mommy, mommy it's that day." 'It's that day today. " I turned around and saw this:
He then proceeded to read "K-Let. K-let." He made sure I noticed the Dinosaur on top.
After that I went back to making the Waffles, and he went back to his work at the fridge. He then excitedly called me "Mommy! now its that day:
He informed me that he had removed the K, and now it was LET day. He engaged in this type of play daily, several times a day, changing the letters, sounding them out, "reading" them, and changing the magnets.
Masha' Allah, the power of play.
So, next time you get blank stare answers to your question 'What did you learn today?' Take time to observe your child when they are engrossed in their imaginative play, you just might get your answer ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment