Monday, January 2, 2012

Introducing the Moveable Alphabet

With the new month we are getting back to our regular circle time schedule, and that means Monday is Language Arts day, in our case letters, spelling/vocabulary and reading. After spending the last month with the Arabic Sandpaper letters, today I introduced the Professors to the Moveable Alphabet. Since this was their first day with it I let them explore it freely, next week we will get more serious, getting back to spelling and reading, insha' Allah.



The alphabet is stored in two pine boxes (I only photographed one) with a handful of letters in individual slots and small bags. 





The tops of the boxes serve as a tray for letter building





As with the Sandpaper Letters, vowels and consonants, are separated by color, in this case blue and red.



As you can see above we did build some real words, but Masha' Allah, the Professors, especially Professor #2, spent alot of time building imaginary words, sounding them out, and reading them.





But most of the time was spent just exploring the manipulative







~

2 comments:

  1. Hello Momina! I'm so happy you tagged me to read this post. It's so much fun to see what you guys are doing with the Movable Alphabet. Even more fun since we've started introducing it as well. Happy homeschooling!

    Lori @ Montessori MOMents

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori. I enjoyed your post as well, and plan to show it to the Professors. It helps them build confidence to see other homeschoolers in action : )

    ReplyDelete