Friday, March 9, 2012

Make Your Own Dinner (and Dessert) Night

My DH has been wanting to make some mini pizza's with the Professors, and I have been wanting to try out a new banana's sorbet recipe I saw online awhile back. With the warm temperatures yesterday afternoon making for quickly ripening banana's, we declared a Make Your Own dinner (and dessert) night last night.

~

Getting Started on the Pizza's



DH's idea was to set up a thick plastic table cloth on the kitchen floor and make stations for each Professor. Everyone had a spoon, a piece of bread, and a small bowl each of frozen cheese, Marinara sauce, and beef pepperoni's.

This is the bread we used


Its similar to pocket less pita, but thicker and softer. We get if from our local Muslim grocer, but you can probably find it in the grocery store. One bread was good enough for one pizza for each Professor.

Making the Pizza's









Ready for baking:



We baked two batches, of three pizza's each,  at 400 degrees for around 10 min. Stay close by to watch them, to prevent burning.

Masha' Allah, all done and ready to eat. Yum!





One of the adult plates


~

Getting Started on the Banana Sorbet

The only ingredient in the sorbet is banana's. First step is to peel and cut the banana's into chunks, then freeze the banana's for at least 2 hours. The twins and I did this step while the other two Professors were still napping, and before we started the Pizza's. 






The twins didn't have an interest in helping me puree the frozen banana's, so I asked Professor #3 if he wanted to help me out, since he hadn't worked on the dessert thus far. 

Loading the banana's into the food processor:




During the first phase of making the sorbet, the banana's turn crumbly. This is a good sign.


Continue to scrape down the sides and puree, keeping an eye on the texture. Too much pureeing can make it turn too thin. 

All done! Masha' Allah, sure looks like sorbet to me : )


As the recipe states, banana's have a little bit of natural fat in them, and that is what makes the creamy texture when frozen. The texture is similar to soft serve ice cream. 

Yum!


Masha' Allah, this turned out super delicious! Everyone loved it, especially Baby Professor : ). The only possible negative is, if you don't like the strong sweet flavor of ripe banana's use some that are not turning brown, because while it looks like ice cream, the taste is the same as if you would eat the banana. 

The recipe:

Here is a link to the recipe I used. I originally saw this recipe on Twitter, but lost track of who posted it. I did a Google search to find it again. 


I encourage you to take the time to read all the comments, they were very helpful. 

~

We sure enjoyed our Make Your Own dinner and dessert night on a warm, spring like evening, Masha' Allah.  Insha' Allah, we hope you will enjoy making these recipes too : )

No comments:

Post a Comment