Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Transferring Rice.

Alhumdullilah, today I decided that it was time for Professor #3 to start doing some dedicated Montessori work of his own with me, in separate lessons from his brothers. He has shown interest in doing work in general, by hanging out with his brothers as they do their lessons, Masha' Allah, and he often wanders out of the playroom looking for something to do, well before I would like him to. So, I pulled out one of my favorite Montessori books, Teach Me To Do It Myself, by Maja Pitamic, and looked up an easy first work for him. The first one she had listed, and the one we chose, was transferring rice.

~
Getting Started


This activity is as simple as the picture looks. Fill one bowl half full with rice. Have the child transfer the rice from one bowl to the other using a spoon. I showed him how to complete the activity until he said he was ready to try it.
~
Working hard




He got discouraged, and a little distracted when he spilled the rice. I reminded him that his focus was to transfer the rice from the pink bowl, to the white bowl, and not to worry about the spilled rice, that's what the tray is there for. He felt better about things, and continued on, Alhumdullilah.

Almost done!



Masha' Allah, he worked hard, and you could see the concentration on his face. He worked on this, with a few distractions, for about 15 min. which was great. When he had a little left he asked me if he could dump it to the white bowl. I let him go ahead, Masha' Allah, he had resisted doing it earlier, and listened when I said to use the spoon. Alhumdullilah, it was a great first lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment