Monday, March 19, 2012

Sight Words Grab Bag Bingo

We have been bobbing around in many subject areas this preschool year in preparation for Kindergarten in the Fall insha' Allah. We do have a loose schedule of things to focus on, but the main direction has been guided by the Professors interest. After spending a few weeks on writing in sand, and writing their names, we are back to reading. They want to read and be read and to, and are constantly at the fridge with their alphabet magnets creating words, then sounding them out and reading them, Masha' Allah.  This last week we have been learning some new Pre-K Sight Words. I am staying away from rote memorization, until we have learned the majority of the words we can sound out and spell, insha' Allah. A printable on education.com popped up in my Twitter feed recently, and we got to work on our own version of it, all last week.

~

Because Baby Professor and Professor #3 could not participate in this lesson, I set them up with some busy work. 

Flip Board Alphabet



Sorting and Filing Sandpaper letters. 

These were left out from our sand writing, and since Professor #3 can't get enough sorting and filing in with these Masha' Allah, I thought it would be fun for him to sort through them and find the matching upper and lower case letters, then file, file, file.  

~
Sight Words Grab Bag Bingo


The game consists of 4 Bingo boards, matching pages of sight words for each board, and a few sheets of 'free space' pages.  You play the game you would any other Bingo game, however the Professors are not ready for this step yet, so we put a small twist on things. 

I went back to my Grab Bag Numbers game roots, and decided to play this a similar way. I went through each board and picked out the words I knew the twins could sound out and spell. I separated the words in to corresponding sandwich bags and labeled them 1, 2, 3, 4. 



 I had the Professors sit with me one at a time, and placed Board 1 in front of them to start. They opened the sandwich bag and placed the words inside the brown bag, and shook them up. I didn't tell them to close their eyes, but they did anyways, Masha' Allah. They grabbed a word out, and first thing was to try to find the match on the board, once they did that, they had to sound out, then read the word. 





The first day we played, I used each word in a sentence afterwards. Masha' Allah, they LOVED this, and quickly started making up their own sentences, and by the second day we played, they did the sentences automatically. 

Insha' Allah, this week we are going to take the game a step farther, and build our bingo sight words with our moveable alphabet, and I'll do a small, separate post on that later. We are also going to start checking out decoder, and easy/beginning reader books from the Library, to see the words in print. Fun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment